Wednesday, July 29, 2020

"People pay to see others to believe in themselves."


Out of interest and practice I am going to share things I watch, listen to, and read. Could be a line or two or more. Unstructured, no pressure or deadline. Perhaps it will inspire a longer reflection. But it seems more constructive for my creative outlet and my mental & spiritual health at large. 




Via UbuWeb Film & Video I clicked on Kim Gordon and found this thought provoking short by her. It spoke to my interest in urban dwelling places, particularly two: one I do not admire and another I frequent and allow to influence me greatly. The former a skyscraper and the latter a club.

Starting at second :46, I'm convinced the background music was pulled as a sample for the back beat on the Philly group The Books' track A cold Freezing Night, that had me distracted for a second. 

The camera scans the club and the text is what polemicizes the culture behind clubs and the tool it provides for sharing visual/video art. Worth a quick watch? Maybe not, but here is why I'd recommend it:

  • A look into the 80s club aesthetic in NYC.
  • A thoughtful piece on art spaces and clubs, why they exist and how they curate the people that use the space- both spectators and performers
  • It is a great alternative to reading a wikipedia page on Kim Gordon and from what I have seen, more interesting than watching a current interview with her. 

MAKING THE NATURE SCENE BY KIM GORDON from visitor design on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment